A while back I bought a hatchet sheath at a flea-market. A couple of weeks ago I found a handle less hatchet that fit into the sheath. I decided to put an oak wooden handle on it.
|Two blanks where cut out of 20mm thick oak|
|The hatchet shaft where drawn and groves cut into the blanks|
|The hatchet's rust was cleaned off with a wire brush|
|Holes was drilled through the shaft and wooden blanks to fit two copper pins. |
All the parts was assembled with two part epoxy
|The handle was clamped and left over night|
|The handle got shaped|
|Final sanding was done with fine sanding paper and lastly by hand.|
|Varnish got added|
|Steel wool finished off the varnish and then some linseed oil. |
The sheath got a coating of leather polish and we are done.