Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Fixing Broken Luggage

I got this trolley bag for free as the telescoping handle broke off. 



I decided to cannibalize a handle meant for another case, to fix this one. The main problem is that the handle has a two outside struts where the broken one has only one central one.


All the parts got stripped out of the case and the handle. The two outer pipes fit snugly into the central housing.


I cast plastic in the gaps locking the outer pipes in place.


The telescopic part of the handle was too short, and thus needed to be extended by some aluminium pipe.


The handle had to be cast to fit in the housing. The housing got lined with clingfilm and masking tape.


The polyurethane cast and left to cure.


Time for the cleanup and shaping




The handle got fixed with four screws, drilled and glued to the extender pipes .


All fitted to the case, and we are done.



No comments:

Post a Comment