Thursday, August 28, 2014

Electronics Toolcase

This is the quick build of the tool case I made for my electronic equipment.
I cleaned up an old ratchet box.


sprayed it Hammer green 


lined it with cork


I made a collapse-able soldering iron stand. The hinge of the base is made from a hot connector block innard and some 3 mm brass rod. The base is made from bent aluminium plate.


The stand can lie flat


or stand up


 The case fits the soldering iron, stand, extractor, solder and multi-meter. Safe and in one place.


ready to use


Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Fixing Broken Luggage

I got this trolley bag for free as the telescoping handle broke off. 



I decided to cannibalize a handle meant for another case, to fix this one. The main problem is that the handle has a two outside struts where the broken one has only one central one.


All the parts got stripped out of the case and the handle. The two outer pipes fit snugly into the central housing.


I cast plastic in the gaps locking the outer pipes in place.


The telescopic part of the handle was too short, and thus needed to be extended by some aluminium pipe.


The handle had to be cast to fit in the housing. The housing got lined with clingfilm and masking tape.


The polyurethane cast and left to cure.


Time for the cleanup and shaping




The handle got fixed with four screws, drilled and glued to the extender pipes .


All fitted to the case, and we are done.



Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wallet

My latest project is a leather wallet. It was designed for for size and is meant to be as small as possible. The one side holds the cards and the other the cash. The cash is held in two pockets, the top of which expands with a press stud.



Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Replica Prop Gun [part2]

After the cylinder was build I moved to the rest of the gun. First up the barrel. I turned the basic shape out of wood on my makeshift lathe. Then I formed the sight and bottom part out of plastic, which I glued on. This got a couple layers of spay paint to remove the wood grain.


The blank of the frame was cut from a 20 mm wide piece of wood and the handle from a 10 mm. The handle was slotted into the frame with a mortise and tenon joint.


The frame was cut and shaped, with the sight grove cut on the top.


The proud bits was formed in plastic and glued on.


The assembled gun started to look quite good.


I filled the last gaps with automotive body filler, sprayed and sanded it. I added the ring to the handle. Nothing about the gun moves, so it would be stuck to the bottom. It was ready for the molding. I sank the cylinder and body halfway in clay and poured the mold material over.


I did the same for the reverse using Vaciline as a releasing agent between the silicon parts.


The cast material is Fastcast Polyurethane with Aluminium filling


When sanded it tuns a bright metal finish.


I tried a number of paint finishings, while I started with the handle.


At the end I used a mat black spray. I wanted to make a mold of the handle sides, but the wood looked so good I decided to keep them. I'l make some handles that I can mold later.



After some weathering, I coated the body of the gun with a clear spray and the handle, with a couple layers of linseed oil. And we're done. One .45 Smith & Wesson M1917 with a 4 inch barrel replica to go.